The Process of QBS
A Step-By-Step Process on how to Select a Design Firm
Selecting a Design Firm
1. An owner identifies the general scope of work and develops a selection schedule.
2. A request for qualifications is issued.
3. Statements of qualifications are evaluated.
4. A short-list of qualified firms to be interviewed is determined.
5. Interviews are conducted and the firms are ranked.
Negotiating a Contract
6. The owner invites the highest-ranked firm to assist in defining a detailed scope of work.
7. The design firm develops and submits to the owner a detailed fee proposal based on the agreed-upon scope of work.
8. If the proposal fee is acceptable, the owner and designer work together to modify the scope of work, schedule, and budget to determine if an agreement on fee can be achieved.
9. If an agreement cannot be reached with the top-ranked firm, those negotiations are ended and negotiations begin with the next-most-qualified firm.
10. An agreement covering scope and fee is executed.
11. Firms involved in the selection process are given post-selection feedback, when requested.
QBS Strategic Plan
View the QBS Strategic Plan